top of page

Unmanned Aerial Vehicle

(Drone) Operators


The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) regulates airspace.  As an airplane pilot, a glider pilot, a balloon pilot, or even a commercial drone operator, the FAA has mandated that pilots (and operators of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles, or UAVs) have a knowledge of airspace class and airspace regulations as mandated under an exemption issued under Section 333 of FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012.


There are many avenues to pursue knowledge around airspace, and to receive a pilots certificate that will enable you to safely (and legally) operate a drone commercially.  However, as part of the pilot certification process, you must remain current in exercising your flight skills.  That means at least 2 flights every 90 days.


We at Fly Light Sport CA believe that the Sport Pilot certificate is the best way to help commercial drone operators to obtain their pilots certificate so they can operate drones legally, and to have fun while maintaining the currency of their certificates.  


Imagine being able to exercise the privileges of the Sport Pilot Certificate for recreation.  You'll be able to fly yourself and one passenger in almost all classes of airspace (endorsement required), travel cross country, or just to another city for breakfast or lunch.  All the while, your recreational flight in a Light Sport Aircraft will help you maintain currency to fly drones for hire.  Give us a call and inquire about our Sport Pilot Training!

bottom of page